9/10/11

How To: Shuck an oyster

OYSTER SEASON HAS ARRIVED!

If you don't like raw oysters then you're insane and not my friend this post is not for you...

Oyster season takes place during all the months with an "R", however last year I was baking

this beautiful little bun


in my oven during a majority of that season, so it's been almost a whole year since I've been able to safely enjoy one of these little beauties of the sea.

So in celebration of the season, I thought I'd post with an easy How To: Shuck an oyster

for those of you who are curious, these are Choptank Bay Sweets

Using an oyster knife or another dull knife (or a flathead screwdriver like me), find the back of the oyster, called the hinge

insert your knife into the hinge, breaking the suction seal (this will take a lot of elbow grease, and unless you're like me and don't mind bloody knuckles I recommend wearing a glove of some kind)

 once you've popped it open, run your knife under the oyster to detach it from the shell


a squeeze of lemon, a little mignonette, some cocktail sauce, or as is- slurp and enjoy! 
Happy Oyster Season!